Civilisation at the Crossroads –
Response and Responsibility of the Systems Sciences
Vienna, 22-25 April 2014
The PhD Colloquium (competition for the Ludwig von Bertalanffy Young Scientist Award) calls for papers.
Scientists of pre-doctorate and early post-doctorate stage are encouraged to present and discuss inter- and transdisciplinary research papers at the special EMCSR 2014 PhD Colloquium & Award scheme. The EMCSR 2014 PhD Colloquium & Award (EMCSR PhD Day) is designed to facilitate the distribution and discussion of inter- and transdisciplinary research work of pre-doctoral and early post-doctoral scientists in all fields within the scope of the EMCSR 2014.
The following Symposia call for papers. Depending on the number of abstracts accepted, the positioning of the Symposia in the programme is subject to final changes.
I. Sustainability and Development
- A multidimensional “economía amable”: co-creating desirable futures
- Disasters: prevention, preparation and response
- Methods for whole economic systems change
- Systemic approaches to hunger and obesity: discoveries, innovations, and policies for the global food & health system
- Systemic conflict transformation
- Balancing individual and collective actions: humanity and systems interaction
- Corporate social responsibility: multilevel foundations towards a new holistic framework of CSR and a new concept of economic value
- Resilience, attractors and graceful degradation
II. Emergence and Design
- Architectural ecologies: code, culture and technology at the convergence
- Game-based learning in systems thinking
- Sustainability, ethics and the cyberspace
- Urban systems research
- Bertalanffy and beyond: improving systemics for a better future
- Ethics from systems: the philosophical perspective
- Emergence in social systems theories and social science: clarifications and applications
III. Complexity and Strategy
- Country development in a time of globalization
- Risks in supply chain networks
- Social and technical “volatility”: commonly shared reference problem of interdisciplinary research on the energy system?
- Systemic consulting
- Systemic project management
- Crossroads of civilisation from a synergetic point of view
- Transdisciplinary responses to global challenges
- Unity through diversity: learning in a complex world
Submission of papers
Calls for papers for symposia are open until 28 February 2014 (if not indicated otherwise). The closing date will not be extended.
Submitters will be notified of acceptance or rejection until 14 March 2014. The earlier you submit, the earlier you can be notified, since the review of your extended abstract is an ongoing process.
Accepted abstracts will be made accessible through the online Book of Abstracts to every participant on 28 March 2014 in order to allow for minimising the presentation time and maximising the discussion time.
After the conference every participant is called upon for submitting a full paper.
These papers may come in two varieties:
- either they are contributions based upon accepted abstracts that are extended to full paper length in the light of the discussion at the meeting
- or they are written anew as a result of the discussion at the meeting.
Submissions will pass a peer-review process by renown experts. The papers are published online in our open access journal systems. connecting matter, life, culture and technology. No author fees are to be paid. Each author retains his or her copyright under a Creative Commons license. Each author is allowed to offer the paper to publishers elsewhere after the paper has been published in the proceedings.
Read more… (submission not yet open)