Chairs: Stefania Bandini, University of Milano-Bicocca, Milano, Italy, Paolo Petta, Austrian Research Institute for Artificial Intelligence, Vienna, Austria, and Giuseppe Vizzari, University of Milano-Bicocca, Milano, Italy
Call for Papers
The notions of agents and multi-agent systems have been adopted for the modeling of complex systems in the most varied contexts: from social sciences to urban planning, biology, logistics and production, and many other more. Agent-based models and simulators are used for research as well as for business/industrial applications. However, the concepts behind the term ‘agent’ are often quite different, as well as the goals, phases and practices involved in modeling and simulation activities. This leads to different approaches, models, mechanisms, methodologies and developed computational systems supporting simulation of the modeled realities. The aim of this workshop, building on the experiences and results of the previous editions held in 2006, 2008 and 2010 is to bring together competencies related to agent-based modeling and simulation in different contexts, first of all to foster cross fertilization but also on one hand to understand what are the particular features of this kind of approach that made it so successful and widespread and to deeply explore the features that differentiate it from other computational approaches to the investigation of complex systems, like physical approaches and Cellular Automata. The theme for this year’s edition of the symposium is thus “Untapping the true potential of Agent-Based Modeling”: the authors are invited to go in the details of the features of the agent-based approach that made them opt for it instead of different alternatives.
Paper sessions and collective discussion with authors and audience.
Session 1: ABModSim for studying human behaviour (Chair: P.Petta)
- Jun Zhang: Empirical study of turning and merging of pedestrians streams in T-junction
- Lorenza Manenti, Giuseppe Vizzari: An Agent-Based Model for Pedestrian and Group Dynamics Applied in a Real-World Scenario
- B. Vermeulen, A. Pyka, A.G. De Kok: Patterns in Capability-based Vertical Governance over the Industry Evolution
Session 2: Applications and instruments of ABModSim (Chair: G. Vizzari)
- J. Albuquerque, G. Silva, R. da Silva, S. Bocanegra, T. Ferreira, J. Ferrer-Savall, D. López-Codina, M. de Souza, R. Souza-Santos, C. Barbosa: Modeling a Real Data Cellular Automaton to Analyze the Schistosomiasis Expansion Process along the coastline of Brasil
- J. Ferrer, J. Albuquerque, C. Prats, D. López, J. Valls: Agent-based Models in malaria elimination strategy design
- S. L. Lytinen, S. F. Railsback: Agent-based Simulation Platforms: An Updated Review
- Open Discussion